From Oluseye Ojo, Ibadan
Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Oyo State yesterday said political influence of former Lagos State governor and National Leader of All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Tinubu, cannot save APC from losing woefully during the 2019 general election.
Apparently responding to a statement by Tinubu that PDP has died in the state, the PDP said: “A million Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu cannot save Oyo State APC from the impending political tsunami.”
Tinubu made the statement on Saturday at Mapo Hall during a reception organised to welcome former governor Adebayo Alao-Akala; a former Senate leader, Teslim Folarin; former deputy governor, Taofeek Arapaja and many frontline politicians to APC.
PDP Publicity Secretary, Akeem Olatunji, in a statement in Ibadan, said: “It is absurd that 90 percent of the so-called defectors have ceased to be PDP members more than two years ago, while the remaining 10 percent are politicians, who make their living through politics, hence, the need to be in the ruling party at all times because they lack ideologies and principles.
“The PDP in Oyo sympathises with Tinubu for the unenviable job of selling a rejected state to the electorate, whereas the party hierarchy, including the National Chairman, Chief John Odigie-Oyegun, knew that the state APC is moribund and the Saturday’s official declaration was a charade to celebrate the birthday of Governor Abiola Ajimobi in an elaborate and wasteful manner without taken into consideration the non-payment of between nine and 16 months salaries of Oyo State tertiary institutions.
“It is, in fact, laughable that the APC, which has failed in bringing together its old members, who worked for its success in 2015 could recourse to panic mode just because the PDP has succeeded in uniting its fronts through the political sagacity of its leader, Senator Rashidi Ladoja.
“We were aware that Tinubu, Ajimobi and the so-called defectors left the venue dejected due to the refusal of Oyegun and other party echelons to grace the occasion.
“It is on record that the only minister from the state, Bayo Shittu, Senator Monsurat Sunmonu, Senator Abdulfatai Buhari, Dapo Lam Adesina and many other lawmakers on the platform of APC boycotted the events to the surprise of Tinubu and the self-acclaimed ‘Constituted Authority,’ Ajimobi.
“It has resorted to a failed attempt to give a false hope that APC is still alive in the state when all the indices show that APC is dead, but the undertakers were admitted with funfair last Saturday.
“President Muhammadu Buhari’s low key celebration of his 75th birthday is worthy of emulation. This is a milestone also coming after his recovery.