From: Basil Obasi, Abuja
Report from the National Bureau of Statistic (NBS) released, on Thursday, indicated that a total of 11,363 road crashes occurred in the country last year while 5,053 persons died during the period under review.
According to the NBS report, speed violation is the major cause of road crashes in 2016, accounting for 33.86% of the total road crashes reported; this is closely followed by loss of control and dangerous driving as they both accounted for 15.43% and 8.53% of the total road crashes recorded respectively.
A review of the report shows that a total of 30,105 Nigerians got injured in the road traffic crashes recorded in 2016. 28,250 of the 30,105 Nigerians that got injured, representing 94% of the figure, are adults while the remaining 1,855 Nigerians, representing 6% of the figure are children. 22, 705 male Nigerians, representing 75%, got injured in road crashes in 2016 while 7,400 female Nigerians, representing 25%, got injured.
Similarly, a total of 5,053 Nigerians got killed in the road traffic crashes recorded in 2016. 4,696 of the 5,053 Nigerians that got killed, representing 93% of the figure, are adults while the remaining 357 Nigerians, representing 7% of the figure are children. 3, 9 70 male Nigerians, representing 79%, got killed in road crashes in 2016 while 1,083 female Nigerians, representing 25%, got killed.
Total vehicle population in Nigeria in 2016 was put at 11,387,185. Commercial vehicles accounted for 53.8% of the total vehicle population in Nigeria in 2016, private vehicles accounted for 44.5%, government vehicles accounted for 1.65 and diplomat vehicles accounted for 0.1%. With the total population of the country puts at 193,392,517 in 2016, Nigeria’s vehicle per population ratio is put 0.06.
Data on the category of vehicles involved in road crashes in 2016 reflected that 56.6% of vehicles are commercial (8,876), 41.6% are private (6,521), 1.70% are government (270) and the remaining 0.10% are diplomat.
A state level disaggregation indicates that Abuja recorded the highest number of road crashes in 2016 and followed by Kaduna and Niger States while Borno and Bayelsa states had the least number of accidents during the year, the report revealed.