From: Timothy Olanrewaju, Maiduguri
No fewer than 15 members of the Boko Haram terrorist group were shot dead by the military on Tueday night, after the insurgents attempted to launch a major operation against Gwoza community of Borno State.
Residents of the community had been alarmed when the insurgents pushed desperately to regain the community.
Gwoza was first seized by Boko Haram and dubbed a caliphate in August 2014 but was recaptured by the military in February 2015.
Confirming the death of the terrorists to newsmen on Wednesday, Theatre Commander of Operation LAFIYA DOLE, Maj.-Gen. Ibrahim Attahiru, said that the terrorists were dealt a ‘great blow’ by the troops stationed at the hilly town
“There was actually gun battle between troops and Boko Haram on Tuesday night,” a military source told Daily Sun.
The source said the insurgents came through Yamteke, west of Gwoza. “They came through Yamteke and were pushing to enter the town but they were stopped by troops,” Musa Adamu, a Gwoza resident said the insurgents wanted to regain the town again.
“I spoke with my cousin on phone and the information I got is that Boko Haram attempted to regain Gwoza because they came in large number and were very determined about it,” he said. He said he only got his cousin through Cameroonian mobile number.