The Federal Court of Appeal hearing an appeal filed by Nigeria’s former National Security adviser (NSA), Colonel Sambo Dasuki, has been adjourned to a date that would be communicated to parties involved in the suit.
The Appeal Court said it could not hear the appeal on account of the inability of the Federal Government to file its brief of argument.
The counsel to the Federal Government, Mr Rotimi Jacobs, had told the justices of the court that the former NSA’s brief of argument was served on him last week and that by the practice of the court, he had 10 days to file his response.
He then applied for a short adjournment to enable him file his response which was obliged.
However, the Justice Abdul Aboki-led panel said that the date for hearing would be reserved until all processes had been filed.
Colonel Sambo Dasuki, had on March 3, also asked a Federal High Court in Abuja to stop his trial. He also asked the court to set aside the criminal charges of unlawful possession of fire arms brought against him by the Federal Government.
Dasuki told the court that the Federal Government no longer had moral and legal rights to continue his trial, having disobeyed the order of bail granted him since Nov 3, 2015.
The Court refused his application as the trail judge, Justice Peter Affem, held that contrary to the application by Colonel Dasuki, it was the Department of State Services (DSS), which was not a party in the suit that arrested Colonel Dasuki and not the Economic and Financial Crime Commission(EFCC).
He agreed with the anti-graft agency that it had not flouted any part of the orders releasing the former NSA on bail.
In the meanwhile, an Abuja High Court on April 6, fixed May 3 for Dasuki’s trial on charges bordering on alleged diversion of funds meant for the purchase of arms for soldiers fighting insurgency in northeast Nigeria.
He has denied the charges.