Philippe Coutinho’s £142m move from Liverpool to Barcelona was officially confirmed on Monday as the playmaker was unveiled to fans at the Nou Camp.
The Brazilian, 25, becomes the Premier League’s biggest-ever export when he completed his £145m move to the Nou Camp and will have to wait at least three weeks to make his debut.
However, any hopes Barca fans had of seeing their new man in action this Thursday in the Copa del Rey against Celta Vigo have been dashed as his medical revealed a thigh injury.
Coutinho’s medical was over two stages, with the first beginning at 7.30am local time and the second later in the morning.
A deal for Coutinho to join Barcelona was agreed on on saturday.
Although his start to life with Barca will be slightly delayed, Coutinho cannot wait to get started after securing his “dream” move following months of speculation.
“I want to thank the president and everyone who has made it possible,” said Coutinho.
“I am very happy, it’s a dream come true and I hope to be up to the job on the field.”
outinho is reported to have committed £11.5m of his own money to help facilitate the deal.
“Philippe, welcome. We know that you have made a personal and economic effort,” said Barcelona vice-president Jordi Mestre.
Bartomeu said the club had been pursuing Coutinho since last summer and that the Brazilian is “one of the world’s stars”.