From Tony Osauzo, Benin
INDICATIONS that the contest for the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship ticket for the Edo State gubernatorial election fixed for September 10 would be a ‘battle’ emerged yesterday when thugs allegedly mobilished to attack the state deputy governor, Dr. Pius odubu and his entourage at Auchi, headquarters of Etsako West Local Government.
A policeman, an operative of the Department of State
Services and three civilians were said to have been injured during the attack.
Sunday Sun learnt yesterday that the deputy governor who last Wednesday declared his intention to contest for the governorship ticket of the APC had earlier been denied access to the party secretariat at Fugar, headquarters of Etsako Central Local Government Area on the instruction of a Deputy Director of Protocol at the Government House.
He was scheduled to meet with party delegates from the area but met the gates of the secretariat under lock and key, a situation that was said to have angered some delegates who forced the gate open to enable the deputy governor meet with them outside the secretariat.
Odubu was said to have let Fugar for Auchi and was meeting with delegates when thugs were said to have suddenly appeared firing gunshots and destroying canopies.
“We ran for our dear lives. They injured a policeman, a DSS operative and three civilians and destroyed canopies. One of the thugs told us they were paid N1 million to carry out the attack,” a source told Sunday Sun yesterday.