…He will face trial — Police
By Christopher Orji
Appeals by the suspended Baale of Shangisha in Magodo, Lagos State, Chief Yusuf Ogundare to Governor Akinwunmi Ambode to temper justice with mercy and secure his release from detention have so far proved abortive, as the Governor has reportedly insisted that the law must take its full course.
Sunday Sun reliably gathered that although Ogundare has been remorseful since his arrest and detention even as many important personalities have been pleading for his release, the government has ordered for his prosecution.
The Baale and his younger brother and accomplice, Mohammed Adams, were arrested by operatives of the Rapid Response Squad (RRS) of the State Police Command recently for false alarm and public embarrassment.
The traditional ruler had allegedly planned his own kidnap in collaboration with his younger brother.
The alleged fake kidnap took place on July 5 along Centre for Management Development (CMD) road in Ikosi-Isheri Local Council Development Area (LCDA) of the state.
The state government had deployed the police and the Department of State Security Service (DSS) to fish out the kidnappers.
The police and other security agencies swung into action and the Baale was allegedly sighted driving in the streets of Ibadan, Oyo State.
He was later dropped off at Alausa, Lagos, in a suspicious manner and was arrested by operatives of the RRS.
The state government had in a memo date July 13, 2017, addressed to the Sole Administrator of Ikosi-Isheri LCDA and signed by the state’s Commissioner for Local Government and Community Affairs, Teslim Folami, directed Yusuf to stop parading himself henceforth as the Baale of the community till further notice.
A senior police officer told Sunday Sun that the Baale, who has been in the police custody, has been trying to reach the government for a truce but to no avail.
It was further gathered that Ogundare and his brother would be charged to court early next week.
“He has been trying to reach out to Governor Ambode for a truce but the Governor has said we must charge him to the court. Many important personalities have been coming to plead for his release, but the government has given order that he must be charged to the court.
We have concluded investigation and we discovered that the Baale faked his own kidnap. His brother connived with him. He was the person that raised the alarm. We may charge him to court on Monday or Tuesday,” the source said.
The State Police Public Relations Officer, Mr Oladeinde Famous-Cole, also told Sunday Sun: “The Baale is in our custody; I can confirm to you that he is in good state of mind. We are compiling the charges against him and his brother. We will soon charge them to the court. I can assure you that we will follow due process. I repeat, he is in our custody.”