From Aidoghie Paulinus, Abuja
The Federal Government yesterday denied media reports that five Nigerians were killed in Ghana.
The reports had claimed that five Nigerians were allegedly killed in a reprisal attack after a Ghanaian died in the Sowutoun area of Ga Municipality of Greater Accra Region of Ghana on Friday following a theft incidence involving the Ghanaian and a Nigerian.
But in a statement signed by the spokesperson, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ms Jane Adams yesterday, the government, while acknowledging that there was a fracas between some Ghanaians and Nigerians, it however, said that no Nigerian was killed.
It insisted that there was no death recorded of any Nigerian national as the result of the alleged incident, adding that the Nigerian was still in protective custody. The Ghanaian authorities acted in accordance with their domestic laws regarding the protective custody of the Nigerian, the statement noted.
The government therefore advised Nigerians to be law-abiding and should desist from actions that would tarnish the image of the country. It also encouraged them to continue to cooperate with the Ghanaian authorities.
The statement read in part: “The attention of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has been drawn to the media reports on the killings of five Nigerians in Sowutoun area of Ga Municipality of Greater Accra Region, Ghana, on August 18, 2017. The Nigerians were allegedly targeted following the death of a Ghanaian who was murdered by a Nigerian national in self-defence.
“According to the report from our High Commission in Accra, Ghana, the Nigerian lodged a complaint at the police station about the deceased Ghanaian regarding a theft at his residence. While investigations were ongoing, the deceased Ghanaian had crept into his apartment and attacked the Nigerian for reporting the case to the police, but the deceased Ghanaian was overpowered by the Nigerian who in self-defence, stabbed him on the head. This led to the death of the Ghanaian and subsequent placing in protective custody of the Nigerian by the Ghanaian police.”
The statement said that there was a riot and mobilization of Ghanaians against Nigerians following news that filtered into the streets of Accra that a Ghanaian had been killed by a Nigerian. This, it said resulted in some Nigerians sustaining injuries, the destruction of property, including vehicles belonging to Nigerians.
It said Nigerian High Commission in Ghana did not only ascertain the circumstances of the alleged attack but also confirmed that the Accra Regional Police intervened promptly and took control of the situation.