Some shops and a residential building were said have been engulfed by fire on Tuesday at Obajana, in Lokoja Council area of Kogi state.
It was learnt that the shops and residential building were damaged conpletely by the inferno.
While no one died, two persons were said to have sustained injuries and presently receiving treatment at a hospital in the communiry.
One of the shop owner razed by the fire, Chukwuebuka Austin said the fire started from one of his neighbour’s shop who deals in gas refilling.
He said the people had on many occasions asked the neighbors to stop trading in gas filling in such an area that is clustered.
He said, “I heard that our neighbour came to the shop in the morning and saw that one of the cylinder is leaking. Before he could do anything, one of the cylinder began to emit fire. Rather than call for help immediately, he ( was trying to put out the fire by himself.
“It was when he couldn’t control the fire that he raised alarm. Before one could do anything the cylinder exploded and ravaged the entries shops.
“I was still at home when someone called me that my shop was burning. When I reached there, I couldn’t go in, because there was no way I could save anything from the fire.”
Another shop owner, Aliu Zaki said all his life works was consumed by the fire; wonder how he will survive.
The state Commissioner for Information and Communication, Mr. Kingsley Fanwo who stopped at the scene of the fire while returning from an official assignment just after the fire fighter from the Obajana Cement Factory put out the fire.
Fanwo sympathized with the shops owner and promised that the state government will look into their plight and assist where necessary.
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has announced 360 new cases of COVID-19, bringing the total...