(By Timothy Olanrewaju – MAIDUGURI)
Three people have been feared killed in fresh Boko Haram attacks at two communities near Chibok, a Borno town where the insurgents abducted over 200 schoolgirls in April 14, 2014.
Boko Haram fighters suspected to be fleeing from Sambisa area attacked Bovkari at about 2pm Monday, Adamu Maina who fled to Chibok told Daily Sun on phone.
“Some Boko Haram came to Bovkari on motorcycles and bicycles at about 2pm today, shooting sporadically. Many residents escaped into the bush and from there to Chibok, but others were trapped. Two people were killed,” he said.
Another fleeing townsman, who preferred anonymity, disclosed that the insurgents proceeded to remote Kuburmbila village, some 7 kilometres to Chibok, at about 3pm and shot villagers.
“One person died and many people were injured, but some soldiers came thereafter to the village and then entered the bush in search of the insurgents,” the source said.
Boko Haram has renewed attacks and ambush raids on commuters as well as military troops in some parts of the state in recent days.
Last week the insurgents ambushed a convoy of vehicles led by military escorts along Maiduguri-Damboa road leading to the death of six persons.
The insurgents had also attacked a community near Chibok, killing three persons.
The military has assured that it is determined to bring the insurgency to an end through a sustained bombardment of the terror group’s hideouts.