Following a tweet on the Anti Substance Abuse Programme (ASAP) by MTN, a twitter user has shared the painful story of his friend, Adeola, a 23-year-old University student, who had become detached because of her painful past.
Tweeting @kaynaija, the young twitter user narrated how Nkem, Adeola’s boyfriend of over a year, had died of an overdose of codeine, a cough syrup.
She recalled: “I had kissed him goodbye on the morning of his death. In fact, he had smiled back at me before I left his house that fateful morning. His smile was everything!
“I had left him with one of the popular cough syrups in front of him, there was an empty bottle of vodka under the table and a cup of coloured liquid in his hand.
“I had teased him about the drink as he laughed out of the door. That was the worst decision of my life – to laugh and walk away!”
According to @kaynaija, the deceased was a talented artiste who only drank recreationally. However, she passed out after finding out about his death. Regret darkened her words as she explained further: “I should have taken that cup from him that morning. I would do anything to go back. Do you want to know what is worse than the searing pain that chokes you? Regret. Regret is horrible when you can do absolutely nothing about it.”
Now, she is prepared to assist people before they get to the point of no return. “So, when I see people trying to do something about codeine or any other substance, I give them a silent nod, an acknowledgment that someone won’t go the way Nkem left.”