From Molly Kilete, Abuja
The Nigerian Air Force (NAF), has denied allegations that its personnel were involved in the recent purported coup plot by military officers to overthrow the government.
The NAF says it considers it most ridiculous that anyone “in his/her right senses, especially in the 21 Century, could still be fixated on the possibility of effecting a change in government in Nigeria in any way other than through the ballot box.”
NAF Director of Public Relations and Information, Air Commodore Olatokunbo Adesanya, who made this known described the NAF as highly professional and apolitical service that is focused on ensuring the protection of the nation’s territorial integrity and facilitating a safe and secure environment for Nigerians.
Adesanya, in a statement said the clarification was necessary to disabuse the minds of Nigerians and foreigners that the NAF has anything to do with coup rumors.
The Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Gen. Tukur Buratai had earlier last month warned officers to steer clear of politics or be shown the way out of service.
The warning compelled the Nigerian Defence Headquarters (DHQ) to quickly set up an ‘administrative machinery’ to investigate attempt by politicians to infiltrate the military and influence some top military officials to take over power.
â€œThe Chief of the Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Baba Abubakar had on May 18 while commissioning new residential accommodation for personnel at NAF Base, Bill Clinton Drive Abuja, emphatically pledged the loyalty of the NAF to the President and Commander-in-Chief as well as to the Nigerian Constitution.