By George Aluo and Romanus Ugwu, Abuja
The House of Representatives committee on sports has declared that there is no crisis in Nigerian football, even as it urged Chris Giwa to stop laying claim to the office of NFF President as there is no reason for him to keep doing so.
The House had last week resolved to look into the “crisis” rocking NFF following a motion of urgent national importance moved on its floor. The House Committee on Sports was subsequently ordered to wade into the matter.
After an interactive session yesterday, the House Committee members unanimous stated that given the submission made by the Sports Minister, Solomon Dalung as well as the sports ministry’s legal team, Giwa has no reason to be laying claim to the office of NFF President.
Vice chairman, Rt. Hon. Anayo Nebe, Hon. Ayodeji Joseph, Hon. Rotimi Agunsoye, Hon. Ayo Tajudeen, Hon. Nuhu Dambazzau, Hon. Mohammed Sheriff, Hon. Lazarus Ogbu, Hon. Samuel Ikon, Hon. Henry Ofongo and Hon. Prestige were among those who spoke at the interactive session as reported by NFF’s official website.
According to NFF’s website, “The House Committee on Sports members were unanimous that since the matter has such distinct clarity, Mr. Giwa has no reason to be laying claim to the office of NFF President.”
Dalung in his remark stated: “When the Giwa group served a notice of discontinuance to the court in October 2014, the court struck out the case and made it clear that the case was dead. I don’t know anyone else who has been able to raise the dead except Jesus Christ!”
At the session the Director of Legal Services in the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports, Barr. Olatigbe Johnson and the NFF’s Head of Legal, Barr. Okey Obi also fully established that there is presently no court order nullifying the election of the current NFF Board, or asking Chris Giwa to take over at the NFF.
NFF 2nd Vice President/LMC chairman, Shehu Dikko, told the House Committee that in football, there are clear channels for dispute resolution, away from the ordinary court. He noted that Mr. Giwa had taken his case to the highest sports court – Court of Arbitration for Sports – and lost.
“If he had won at CAS, everyone in the Nigeria football family would have been obliged to submit to him. He lost. So, he should respect football rules and wait for the next elections,” Dikko said.
Meanwhile, the Reps committee in the spirit of fair hearing has invited Giwa and his men to appear before it on Tuesday next week.