A Royal footman who worked closely with the Queen has ‘tested positive for the killer coronavirus’.
The man, who has not been named, is self-isolating at home but it has raised questions over whether he came into contact with Her Majesty while infected.
Buckingham Palace aides have confirmed the Queen, 93, is in good health as she remains in lockdown with her husband Prince Philip, 98, at Windsor Castle.
The long-serving worker’s role was to give the monarch food and drink after he got promoted six months ago.
He would also walk her precious Dorgis – Vulcan and Candy – as well as greet guests and open letters.
A source told the Sun: ‘Everyone is terrified, not just for themselves but also for the Queen and the Duke.
‘If everyone around them hasn’t been tested yet they should be and I’m sure they will be. There is a palpable sense of fear in the air at the moment.
‘The footman would come and collect the dogs and see the Queen on a daily basis performing normal duties. It’s terrifying to think how close they were.’
Up to a dozen Buckingham Palace workers have been tested for the deadly bug, but have given negative results.
One staff member was diagnosed with coronavirus last week – before the Queen left the capital for Windsor.
Prince Charles, who met his mother at Buckingham Palace on March 12, tested positive for the illness on Tuesday.
His doctor is convinced he would have been contagious from March 13 at the earliest, based on when the 71-year-old started to develop symptoms.
The Duchess of Cornwall has tested negative but is now isolated from her husband at Birkhall, their Scottish retreat where they are both staying.
Buckingham Palace, while refusing to comment on whether the Queen had been tested for coronavirus, took pains to stress she was well this week.
The Palace unusually released a picture of the Queen during her weekly audience with the PM by telephone from Windsor Castle.
It showed her wearing a blue blouse and cardigan, surrounded by china corgis and racing trophies, and speaking on a 1970s-style white telephone.
A Palace spokesman said: ‘Her Majesty The Queen remains in good health. The Queen last saw the Prince of Wales briefly on the morning of March 12 and is following all the appropriate advice with regard to her welfare.’
Charles began to feel ill last weekend at his Highgrove estate in Gloucestershire before flying to Scotland on Sunday.
He was tested via the NHS on Monday and the results came back positive late on Tuesday evening.
Clarence House insists that neither Charles nor Camilla were given special treatment.
Sources said his symptoms were mild and he had not even taken to his bed. He has spent the past few days working and is expected to make a full recovery.
A statement from Clarence House said: ‘The Prince of Wales has tested positive for coronavirus.
‘He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual.
‘In accordance with government and medical advice, the prince and the duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland.
‘The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire where they met the criteria required for testing.’
It added: ‘It is not possible to ascertain from whom the prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks.’