The General Officer Commanding (GOC), 7 Division, Nigerian Army, Brig-Gen. Victor Ezugwu, escaped death narrowly in an ambush by Boko Haram terrorists in the northern part of Borno State, according to army spokesperson.
This incident, in which one soldier lost his life, is coming 24 hours after the terrorist group engaged the military in a fierce battle that lasted for several hours in their daring attempt to capture 113 Battalion at Kareto close to the border with Niger Republic.
The Director of Army Public Relations (DAPR), Col. Sani Usman, who confirmed the latest development, said that the leading convoy of the GOC was ambushed by suspected terrorists about 8.30am on Tuesday while en route to visit troops in Bama town in the northern part of Borno State.
Usman also confirmed that a soldier lost his life and two others were injured in the attack. He however said that the troops “were able to clear the ambush, killing some of the terrorists and recovered vehicle and weapons from them”.
Some of the items recovered from the terrorists include a Toyota Hilux vehicle, two AK-47 rifles and several ammunitions.
The Army spokesman also said that the “GOC has continued his operational visit to Bama, while the body of the late soldier and the wounded have been evacuated to Maiduguri”.
He said that the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt-Gen. Tukur Yusuf Buratai has also spoken with the GOC.
Usman also stated the Nigerian Army’s “unalloyed commitment and determination to continue to clear the remnants of the Boko Haram terrorists wherever they might be hiding”.
In a related development, the DAPR has also confirmed that two officers and 22 soldiers were wounded in the battle with Boko Haram terrorists in Kareto, Borno State on Monday.
He said the wounded are already being treated at the Military Hospital in Maiduguri.
“Please recall that Boko Haram terrorists attacked our troop’s location at Kareto, northern Borno State this morning. The troops successfully repelled the attack and killed quite a number of the terrorists.
“The situation has since been brought under control and reinforcement sent. So far our troops had two officers and 22 soldiers wounded in action. All of them have been evacuated to Military Hospital Maiduguri where they are receiving treatment,” the statement read.