By Ibn Rajab al-Hanbalee
IBRAHIM Ibn Adham – may Allah have mercy on him – a third century scholar, a teacher and a companion of Sufyaan ath-Thawree, was asked about the saying of Allah – the Most High:
“AND YOUR LORD SAYS: CALL ON ME I WILL ANSWER YOUR PRAYER…” [Surah Ghaafir (40): 60] by some people who said they supplicated but were not answered.
Ibn Adham answered themgiving the following reasons why Allah may reject the parayers of a supplicant:
• You know Allah, yet you do not obey Him,
• You recite the Quran, yet do not act according to it,
• You know Shaitaan(Devil), yet you have agreed with him,
• You proclaim that you love the Messenger of Allah, sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam, yet you abandon his Sunnah,
• You proclaim your love for Paradise, yet you do not act to gain it,
• You proclaim your fear for the Fire, yet you do not prevent yourselves from sins,
• You say “Indeed death is true”, yet you have not prepared for it,
• You engage yourselves with finding faults with others, yet you do not look at your faults,
• You eat of that which Allah has provided for you, yet you do not thank Him,
• You bury your dead, yet you do not take a lesson from it.