From Bamigbola Gbolagunte, Akure
Ikare-Akoko, the headquarters of Akoko North East Local Government
Area of Ondo State was on Sunday evening thrown into serious mourning
following the death of a 60 year old woman and her grand-daughter of
about four years in an inferno.
The duo were reportedly burnt to death when a bungalow located less
than two poles to Ikare fire station caught fire in the night.
The woman whose identity could not be immediately confirmed, slept
alone in the room with her child.
Daily Sun gathered that the deceased persons struggled to escape from
the inferno they were eventually trapped in the fire.
An eye witness, Precious Oluboyo said co-residents tried to suppress
the fire with water from the well but to no avail.
He alleged that candle light caused the inferno, stressing that there
was no electricity in the whole Akoko division comprising four Local
Government Areas in the last on year.
A community leader, Chief Saliu Okola flayed the present
administration in the state for not doing much on the provision of
fire fighting equipment.
He called on the governor-elect, Mr Rotimi Akeredolu (SAN) to recruit
fire fighting officers with necessary equipment in its offices across
The Vicar-in- charge of St Stephen Anglican Cathedral Church,
Ikare-Akoko where the woman was a communicant, Ven Joshua Idowu
described the deceased as a devout christian.
According to the cleric, the woman was a humane personality who was an
example of a good christian.
Her neighbour, Mrs Aminat Adekunle said they would miss her good
disposition and honesty.