DSS to grant lawyers access to Zakzaky
From Noah Ebije, Kaduna
MEMBERS of Islamic Movement in Nigeria ( IMN ), Shiites, yesterday told newsmen that they have gone to International Criminal Court ( ICC ) in Hague to sue the Nigerian Army for alleged war crimes in the December 2015 clash with the Army in Zaria.
Addressing the press, media spokesman of the Islamic group, Ibrahim Musa said the Zaria clash was a war against the Shiites where over 1,000 of them were allegedly killed by the Army.
The ICC, located in the Hague, is believed to be the court of last resort for prosecution of genocide, war crimes, and crimes against humanity.
According to Musa, “International Human Rights Commission (IHRC) has on behalf of Shiites called on the ICC to open a preliminary enquiry into the events in Zaria last year.
“In the file submitted to the ICC today ( yesterday) the IHRC alleged that “the crimes committed between December 12 and 14, 2015 in Zaria, Kaduna State, by the Nigerian Army amount to crimes against humanity. The crimes committed by the Nigerian army meet all the necessary legal requirements to warrant a preliminary investigation by the ICC prosecutor.
“IHRC has called on the ICC, which has a mandate to prosecute people for war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide, to open a preliminary enquiry into the events in Zaria last year in which soldiers attacked the Islamic Movement of Nigeria’s (IMN) supporters, symbols and property.
“The assault over two days in the northern Nigerian city left a trail of bloodshed and destruction including the shooting of the movement’s leader, Sheikh Ibrahim Zakzaky and his wife Zeenat. Both are currently believed to be in military custody, detained without charge.
Meanwhile, Chairman, Judicial Commission of Inquiry into the crisis, Justice Muhammad Lawal-Garba, yesterday said he had the assurance of the Department of State Services (DSS), to make the religious leader available to his lawyers.
Founder of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria (Shiites), Sheikh Ibrahim el-Zakzaky, has been held incommunicado since December 13, 2015, following the clash.
Before adjourning sitting till tomorrow, Justice Garba announced that the panel would hear the memorandum of the Nigerian Army when it reconvenes.